Tuesday 10 February 2009

Todays interview with Rachel of Rachel Helen Designs




Hey everyone,

Todays interview is with a very talented jewellery designer, whos work is gorgeous, different and will really help you stand out from the crowd.

Heres the interview...........

What is your business and how did you get started?
Rachel Helen Designs offers bespoke handmade jewellery. I have two ranges, Vintage recyceld and precious metal jewellery.
I started making jewellery when I was about 12 years old. It was generally just hobby until about 2002 when I decided to take evening classes in silversmithing. I've always received positive comments about my work and after training for a few more years I decided to take the plunge, reduce my working hours and set up the business.

Does you business offer anything out of the ordinary/something different that no one else is doing at the moment?
All Rachel Helen Jewellery is one of a kind. I don't like to replicate any of my designs. This keeps each piece individual and special to the person wearing them.
Another of my selling points is that all of my work is produced solely in the UK. I think it is important to support local and UK businesses and will go out of my way to source materials and equipment from UK suppliers.

What inspires you and what is the inspiration behind your business?
I am inspired by many things. I have a passion for Art Nouveau, fairy tales and the darker side of nature. I love working on commissions where I take inspiration from the person/people the piece is being made for.
My business is driven by a passion for beautiful jewellery and the joy of sharing it with others!



When did you start your business and why?
I officially started my business in 2005. After leaving university in 2001 I hoped to work in animation and film making, however the industry had changed and employment was hard to find in the area I desired.. After working full time in office based employment for a while I decided this wasn't the route for me.
I took up evening classes and studied around my working hours. After training for a few years I was given the opportunity to work full time with a very experienced jeweller. I took the job and worked closely with him for a year until the time came to move on and branch out on my own.

Where is your business located and do you have a website?
Shed 2 Studios, 10A Heanor Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 8DX (by appointment only)
http://www.rachelhelendesigns.com/



What is the best thing about your business?
The best thing about Rachel Helen Designs is that you can have pretty much any piece of jewellery your imagination dreams of.. platinum rings full of sparkling diamonds, silver necklaces with hidden inscriptions or Grandma's pearls made into a beautiful necklace with vintage brooches and earrings. Each piece is like a little piece of art that should be treasured no matter what the style or value..



What would you tell other women out there who were thinking of starting their own businesses?
If you don't try you'll never know... You have to be extremely patient but also determined. Its taken a long time to get where I am now but I'd recommend it to anyone.. after all who really enjoys being stuck in the 9-5? Being my own boss and enjoying my work is far more important.

How would you describe your business, in your own words?
Bespoke hand made jewellery for the individual. Little pieces of art to be treasured for years to come.

What do you enjoy most about running your own business?
The best things about running my business is loving what I do, talking to people who share my enthusiasm and being my own boss.

So there you have it, an interview with a very passionate and talented designer....Check out her collections now at: http://www.rachelhelendesigns.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment