Monday 9 February 2009

Interview with Designer and Maker Clare Gage - www.claregage.com




Hi everyone, todays interview is with Clare Gage, a very talented designer/maker who produces gorgeous individual pieces including porcelain cups, tableware and vases.

Heres the Interview:

What is your business and how did you get started?
I am a designer/maker working in textiles and ceramics. I make porcelain cups, tableware and vases with the texture and appearance of textiles.
I started my business after graduating from university and began producing the collection I had developed during my final year.

Does you business offer anything out of the ordinary/something different that no one else is doing at the moment?
My designs are very unique and individual; they are what make my business different. It is interesting that I have designed, developed and made the products myself and each pieces is worked on individually so are unique themselves.

What inspires you and what is the inspiration behind your business?
I am inspired by the process of making things. I have always loved to explore with materials and techniques and this has led me to design my current range of ceramics, by experimenting with the idea of bringing textiles into ceramics. The inspiration for my business is my love of making, I want to be able to continue to be creative through running my business.

When did you start your business and why?
I started my business in February 2008, months after I left university. I wanted to continue working with the designs that I’d developed whilst studying and believed that they were marketable products. This led me to starting my business and retailing my products.

What is the best thing about your business
Being able to continue being creative in my work as I had hoped I would be able to.

What would you tell other women out there who were thinking of starting their own businesses?
Be very organized! It is difficult to keep on top of everything that you have to do when you own your own business and organisational skills are key. I recommend making nice clear lists!

How would you describe your business in about 15 words?
I am a designer maker; I produce porcelain pieces with the appearance of textiles.

Where is your business located and do you have a website?
I work from my studio in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. My website is http://www.claregage.com/

What do you enjoy most about running your own business?
I enjoy getting my hands dirty in the studio. The best days are when I leave work with clay in my hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment